The position for Principal Stress Engineer in Bristol is no longer available
Principal Stress Engineer
Demob Job Reference: j2389
Job Title: Principal Stress Engineer
Salary: £45,000 - £50,000
Start Date: Immediate
My client is one of the UK's leading support services companies, They deliver many key services including, design, build, manage, operate and maintaining assets, Dealing with companies both in the UK and overseas, Supplying customers in a wide variety of industry sectors including, Defence, Marine, Naval, MoD, Oil & Gas, Communications, Energy and Transportation. They now require a Principal Stress Engineer, Based in Bristol, This is a senior position in a Stress Analysis role. Staff at this level would normally be expected to perform work involving considerable independence in approach, demanding originality, ingenuity and judgement. The individual will make technical decisions and check/approve safety of life analyses.
- Your work will involve the analysis of complex mechanical handling and weapon launch systems equipment.
- You may be requested to work on scoping assessments or detailed analyses dependent upon the maturity of the projects underway.
- Specific activities in the role include: The origination, checking and approval of stress analyses.
- Generation of analysis plans.
- Providing guidance to design teams on the strength implications of mechanical designs.
- The sentencing of non-conformities.
- Development of analysis techniques and company standards.
- To take personal responsibility for the planning and management of his/her time to ensure that the allocated work, taking into account any necessary iterations and supporting activities, is completed within the agreed timescale and budget.
- To take responsibility for the preparation of information and subsequent presentation of completed designs at formal design reviews, including close-out of review actions in the agreed timescales.
- To maintain rigorous and effective communications with the designers of interfacing equipments, and clearly specify interface requirements at the boundary of their Design Solution.
- Support their leader with accurate forecasting and reporting when required.
- Be committed to personal development, in particular, The understanding of advances in engineering and manufacturing technology.
- Development and maintenance of proficiency in the use of necessary computer based tools.
- To maintain comprehensive records of design activities undertaken and share expertise/knowledge (both good and bad) via the knowledge management database.
- Either a relevant HNC/HND qualification or first/further degree
- Over 15 years analysis experience.
- A strong background in stress analysis methodologies.
- A strong grasp of classical stress analysis techniques applied to a high integrity engineering environment.
- Experience of typical texts by authors such as Bruhn, Peterson, Niu, Blevins & Blodgett.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of FE (including its limitations).
- Undertaken shock & vibration analyses.
- An understanding of mechanical design at system and sub-system level (including mechanisms & structures).
- Be able to plan and forecast stress analyses in terms of cost and duration.
- It would be an advantage to have: Experience working in a Defence, Nuclear or Aerospace environment, Experience of Mathcad & Finite Element Analysis, Experience of any formal stress analysis codes or standards. Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution and hold Chartered or Incorporated status.
- This is also a role where a willingness to improve our methods and processes is considered integral.
- £45,000 - £50,000
- 25 days holiday plus 8 stats.
- Employer contributory pension
- Opportunity to join a well established and rapidly expanding company.
Successful applicants will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements.