The position for Software Engineer in Burgess Hill is no longer available
An opportunity has arisen for Software Engineer to join HLS in Burgess Hill.
Honeywell Life Safety (HLS) is a strategic business unit in Automation and Control Solutions (ACS). HLS innovates to protect and save lives worldwide everyday. It is a global leader in many growing industries, including commercial fire systems, smoke and gas detection, personal protective equipment (PPE), and home and hospital patient monitoring. Its quality products, integrated system solutions, and services make life safer, more comfortable, more secure, and more productive in every corner of our world. You can find leading-edge HLS technology in the products, software, and solutions all around you, including at airports, hotels, healthcare institutions, business centres, stadiums, industries, and schools.
About the role:
The role of Software Engineer will be to design, develop and maintain electronic fire alarm products and related systems to international standards, primarily through PC & Server application software development. Knowledge of PC & Server application development environments and operating systems is essential. Previous experience of developing thin-client web applications is required.
• To create unambiguous documentation which consolidates information from formalised customer requirements documentation, verbal communication/ interrogation, and his/her own engineering knowledge. The documentation should indicate the nature and effect of each function as highlighted by customer requirements analysis. It will result from the use of appropriate company procedural processes/ tools -normally as a team exercise.
• Accurately forecast the anticipated engineering resource requirements of project work based on his/her own and peer knowledge/ experience.
• Take the lead in specifying and developing new web based applications and the migration of existing PC based applications to the web.
• Use a best practice design approach in line with company procedures to create readable, well structured source code suitable for peer review and 3rd party assessment. Clear design documentation to be produced including details of functionality, data-storage, verification testing, build instructions etc.
• Self start on the use of new development tools/ new projects (set-up of tools and compiler environments, etc.)
• The ongoing maintenance of legacy products - approached in the same manner as the development of new designs.
• Investigation of field issues through a logical and methodical approach. To include recommendations for immediate resolutions and longer term corrective actions.
Work Experience Required
•Experience in a product development environment is desirable. Preferably this experience would be gained with exposure to the complete product lifecycle with work as part of a team.
•Planning and monitoring of development work against agreed timescales.
•Experience of PC & Server application development including the development of thin-client web applications.
• An in depth knowledge of the C software coding language
• Experience of .NET/C#
• Experience of generating thorough development documentation.
• PC & Server applications & thin-client web applications
• Experience of product development including user interface design.
• Experience of client-server based application development including web applications.
• Experience of revision & life cycle control software (MKS Revision Control in particular).
• Bespoke network and communication protocol experience.
• Knowledge of Visual C++ and/or C# development environment
• Use of .WPF in Visual Applications
• Knowledge of MISRA-C (or equivalent) coding guidelines/standards.
• Knowledge of the Fire industry & Standards (EN54, BS5839) (Not essential)
• UML & component based development (Not essential)
• Design for Six Sigma – Green belt certification.
• A working knowledge of the fire industry and associated products/systems.
• Company quality procedures relating to the design and release of product and the design change system.
Honeywell is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Honeywell is committed to a diverse workforce.