The position for Designer - Yeovil in Somerset is no longer available
Designer - Yeovil
To be fully responsible for the layout, visual appearance and usability of the company websites, ensuring brand continuity, and providing expert advice, in line with Screwfix standards.
· To design Web sites and ensure that they are visually effective, usable and easy to access, and suitable for search engines.
· Work in an agile development team, pairing with software engineers, the project truth, and other non-technical team members.
· Develop CSS based web UI designs for dynamic web applications implemented in JSP
· Engage with business analysts and project managers and the business to gain an understanding of the business requirements to support design of the correct solution for the business
· Estimate for design work
· Develop material using video and images to educate users on new features
· Develop designs for publicising new projects internally and externally
· Decision making is largely based on mixture of judgement and precedent
· Create designs that work in multiple browsers and across multiple screen resolutions
· Must ensure competence in the specialism is sustained and developed.
Skills & Abilities
Experience of the following is essential:
· Strong understanding of HTML and the evolving web standards including W3C, WAI and Usability,
· CSS based design
· Cross browser compatible design techniques
· Knowledge of Photoshop
· In depth knowledge of current web-design trends and techniques
· Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
· Experience in using a source control tool, such as Subversion, Git, Mercurial, etc
· Logical and structured approach to problem solving
· Awareness of the principles of creating 'clean code'
· Customer facing development experience
· A strong online portfolio displaying user-centred design, and ideally some experience with web application solutions.
Experience of the following is advantageous:
· Delivering solutions using Agile methods (scrum, XP, etc). Therefore a solid understanding and experience of SCRUM and/or XP practices (TDD and pair programming). Along with demonstrable collaboration and communication skills
· Designing dynamic applications developed, preferably using Java and JSP
· An Art, Design or Media based Honours Degree
· Dealing with distributed teams
· Experience working with Unix, including basic Scripting and file editing
· Experience of Acceptance Test Driven Development or Behavioural Driven Development
· Test automation, for example using Fitness, Web Driver, Selenium, Watir, etc
· Understanding of retail systems
· Commitment to results - Works in a focused, committed and purposeful way, overcoming obstacles to deliver high quality results
· Functional Expertise - Displays a level of technical functional or professional knowledge and expertise in own field and constantly updates knowledge to ensure expertise remains relevant.
· Interpersonal Effectiveness - Displays a positive personal impact with inner confidence. Is able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and to influence the views of others through effective persuasion
· Decision Making - Assists in making high quality decisions by collaborating with the team and taking a balanced view of a situation, evaluating all relevant information and reaching a logical conclusion
· Problem Solving - Understands problems both broadly and in depth. Takes a multi-dimensional approach to problem solving, focussing on the important issues and establishing priorities
· Creativity & Ideas Generation - Develops creative solutions to problems and situations, thinks beyond the tried and tested ways of doing things
· Team Working - Works co-operatively and effectively with others in a team to achieve shared objectives. Is able to seek out expertise and input from others, and work effectively with others within and outside the team
· Self motivation and drive
· Open and honest approach to challenges
· Strong team working skills
· Be able to deliver technology solutions within a dynamic environment
· An excellent level of attention to detail
· A strong sense of ownership
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
· Positive, constructive, and a focus on continuous improvement