Tier 1 Visa - General Highly Skilled Visa

CV-Library Home » Register CV » Tier 1 Visa - General Highly Skilled Visa

Remove All Barriers to Working in the UK


Try the online Tier 1 Visa Points Calculator from our partners at SkillClear and see if you qualify! You can also receive a free assessment of your case by a Registered Specialist Tier 1 Visa Consultant.


The Tier 1 General Visa is part of the UK Points Based System and replaced the previous Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and is possibly the most popular work-related visa for skilled migrants.

The points based scheme allows you to qualify for a Tier 1 General Visa based on your qualifications, experience, earnings and age. The programme was designed to encourage the entry of people to the UK to seek employment who are probably already earning a high salary and are very successful in their home country.

How you Can Qualify for the Tier 1 Visa

To make a successful application you will need to provide evidence that you score sufficient points in the categories and demonstrate that you have a suitably high level of English Language ability and that you have sufficient savings to support yourself when you arrive in the UK. You do not need to score points in all sections but you must meet the minimum points requirement to qualify.

If you think you may qualify visit the Tier 1 Visa Points Calculator for a quick initial assessment, a free service which will ask a few basic questions for a simple way to assess your score. SkillClear will let you know if you qualify for the programme and see if you would like to apply. Easy.

Our partners operate a 100% no win no fee service for UK clients. If you are based outside the UK, your payment will be required in advance, if you are in the UK, half the fee as deposit and half upon success.

Options Available if you do not Qualify for the Tier 1 Visa.

If you do not qualify for a Tier 1 Visa and you wish to work in the UK then you would usually need to find an employer willing to sponsor you.

The employer would need to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship and these can only be issued for jobs that have a minimum level of education and skills.

Some jobs will be deemed as being 'Shortage Occupations' and will therefore carry higher points than lower-level positions. Once you have been provided with a Certificate of Sponsorship by a UK Employer you will need to apply for a Tier 2 Visa - UK Work Permit

If you are an employer wishing to sponsor non-EU workers then you should contact SkillClear UK Visa Services for assistance with Registration as a Sponsor and the correct issuing of Certificates of Sponsorship.