The position for Bursar in Oxfordshire is no longer available
Our client is a charitable foundation which was set up more than 50 years ago to promote transatlantic understanding and communication between experts in their field, with the principal aim of encouraging cooperation and to discuss pressing international issues and current affairs
The job role: Bursar
Contract & Remuneration: Permanent. £40k with house provided that is rent free, paid council tax and some utilities
Start Date: Immediate
• Finances. In addition to overseeing the accountant and the daily transactions, this includes the planning and presentation of the budget, monitoring expenditure, liaison with the banks and Investment Manager, annual pay scales and preparation of invoices for guest conferences
• Care and Maintenance includes responsibility for the fabric of the buildings, including fire and security systems, planning routine maintenance, controlling the maintenance team and gardeners, the interior cleanliness and care of chattels, especially those on loan under the one estate scheme, insurances and compliance with terms and conditions of these insurances. The security and fire emergency procedures are an essential part of this compliance.
• Staff. Included in this are the Bursary team (Domestic Bursar, Event Organiser, Accountant), the security, maintenance and grounds staff (8), the cleaners (7), the cooks (5), the waitresses (11), the Butler and the tour guides. Responsibilities include recruiting, management, terms and conditions of service, training requirements and career advice.
• Conferences. (10 or 11 per annum). During these the Bursar is effectively the hotel manager, responsible for all aspects of the running of the Mansion and its annexes. There is added responsibility for the security of senior guests, who are often politicians, ambassadors, eminent academics and the like. He is the Licensee, responsible for the control of alcohol on the premises. He is also the fire warden for the Conference Annex at Lower House. These duties are of particular importance during Guest Conferences.
• Park Conference Centre Limited (DPCC). This is the Charity’s trading arm - the Bursar is the executive director and works with the Deputy Director to attract business in the shape of “Guest” conferences which are allowed to rent the Foundation premises with the aim of producing income for the sustainability of the Foundation. There are currently 10 – 12 of these per year, from Oxford Colleges, leading companies, non-profit organisations etc. The Bursar is responsible for ensuring that functions are properly staffed and administered. The Event Organiser is a member of the Bursary Staff.
• Finance & General Purposes Committee. The Bursar is the Secretary of this Committee, and is responsible for the preparation of papers for the three annual meetings, including presentation of the annual budget and subsequent progress reports. He should liaise with the Chairman over any un-budgeted expenditure or any item exceeding the agreed estimate. He is also responsible for obtaining estimates for major works agreed by the Committee and, once these estimates are approved, is the project officer responsible for seeing the projects through to completion. He is also Secretary of the Health and Safety Committee, and the Risk Committee.
The successful applicant is likely to have substantial exposure working in an operational and financial management capacity, either from the Armed Forces, Private Education sector or Estates Management. You will be a seasoned communicator, able to deal with high level/titled individuals/dignitaries, and the type of person who is calm and efficient in manner and approach. This opportunity represents a chance for somebody to undertake a potential lifestyle change, with the hours being very much 9.00 to 5.00 and the advantages that come from living on site in a 3500 acre estate with its relevant outdoor leisure pursuits.