The position for Business Development Manager in Newcastle is no longer available
Business Development Manager
Business Development Manager – 2 Year Fixed Term Contract
Operating within the utilities sector, our Client is one of the leading distribution businesses in the UK, supplying more than 3.6 million locations from Northumberland to North Lincolnshire. Our Client also operates a successful meter rental business and the planned roll-out of smart meters, creates significant new opportunities to grow their business.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for two Business Development Managers to be in at the forefront of a potential major business opportunity in smart metering. As the successful Business Development Manager, you will be working alongside the current metering team, assessing smart metering products, propositions and opportunities, based to meet customer requirements in a brand new market. You will identify and develop opportunities to deliver commercial benefit in the context of significantly growing our Client’s metering business. In addition to this, you will look to drive further value from existing client requirements for traditional metering. You will also work with our Client’s internal business functions including procurement, legal counsel and finance, to develop and operate metering business streams that are contractually and financially robust.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Supporting the further development of the business development strategy and plans, including identifying innovative contractual opportunities from current and anticipated markets.
• Engaging with internal support functions on required for contract development and renewal, including finance, legal and procurement specialists. Ensuring that the contracts placed on behalf of our Client to deliver the highest standards, providing excellent customer service and ensuring appropriate data to allow accurate contract billing and settlement.
• Support internal stakeholders in all metering aspects of contract management and business development.
• Liaison with energy supplier’s meter procurement functions to identify and develop opportunities.
• Ensuring the team has a proactive approach to relationship management ensuring that our Client is flexible and quick to respond to their customers’ needs.
• Support the negotiation of commercially and legally acceptable metering related contracts, ensuring that all contractual terms attain legal and commercial acceptance and provide the best value for the business.
• Work with internal and external service providers, including meter manufacturers to ensure product offerings are developed whilst maintaining the core values and business plans of our Client.
• Liaison with service provider’s operational staff and assist other business functions to ensure satisfactory operational performance.
• Ensure that all key targets, with regard to meter stocks and procurement, are delivered and supported by sound contracts and ensure that products are compliant with contractual and regulatory/business requirements.
• Provide regular and detailed updates to the Metering Manager and Network Trading management team.
Key Competencies Include:
• Utility metering experience (additional gas industry knowledge may be an advantage).
• Knowledge of the smart metering roll-out.
• Experience of problem analysis and solving followed by clear decision-making.
• Strong communication skills (verbal, written and presentational).
• IT skills – experience of using Microsoft office for communication and reporting.
• Good analytical skills (capable of analysing complex information using a variety of techniques and delivering outputs based on it).
• Contract management and negotiation skills.
• An understanding of asset management processes with a particular view on utility metering.
Qualifications and Attributes:
The successful Business Development Manager will be a self-motivated and self-organising member of the metering team, specialising in putting customer experience, client satisfaction and business performance at the centre of our operation.
In addition, the successful Business Development Manager will be able to demonstrate;
• Knowledge of the existing metering markets and smart metering developments.
• Considerable contract management and business development experience.
• Substantial knowledge of the gas and electricity markets from an asset and metering perspective.
• Show an ability to work under pressure to meet challenging targets/deadlines and a drive to create excellence.
• Possess excellent people skills and have a customer-centric approach.
• Be able to build and influence effective working relationships.
• Able to develop and understand contracts.
• Be prepared to travel and work on a national basis.
• Have the ability to work as part of a team.
• Be able to communicate and develop key business relationships effectively across key business function and other businesses.
• A full driving licence is essential.
Salary circa £35,000 to £40,000 per annum, depending upon qualifications and experience.